Senior Citizen Discounts
Some senior citizens may qualify for a rate discount from Columbia REA. Following is information about the discount and qualifying criteria that must be met in order to receive the discount.
Senior Citizen Energy Discount Amount
The amount of the monthly basic charge shall be credited to the billing account for the member household meeting all requirements. However, the minimum amount billed for the month is to be no less than the amount of the monthly basic charge.
Eligibility Requirements for Discount
- Member must be a permanent full-time resident at the account receiving the discount. Member must provide proof of full-time residency by meeting the following requirements:
- Electric service must be provided under Columbia REA’s residential rate schedules.
- Member must receive monthly bill in his/her name
- CREA energy usage qualifying as a permanent full-time resident. A temporary absence visiting relatives or vacation shall not disqualify member. However, other residency for convalescent or supervised care may disqualify member; therefore, each member will be reviewed on an individual basis.
- Member must be 65 years of age or older. Member must provide proof of age by submitting a copy of all of the following documents:
- Birth Certificate
- Driver’s License
- Social Security document showing birth date
- Member’s family unit annual income from all sources, including all residents at the account, must be less than or equal to 150% of the current year U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Poverty Guidelines.
- Social Security year-end statements
- Year-end bank records
- Year-end retirement earnings statement
- W-2 5. Federal Income Tax return
- Member must apply for discount and furnish proof of income. Please call our office to ask for a certification letter to be mailed to you. Provide the above mentioned information and return the signed letter. You can reach us by calling our Dayton office at (509) 382-2578 or Toll Free at (800) 642-1231.